London, UK — It’s embarrassing to see what’s happing in Great Britain these days.
Britain’s Home Office posted on their official Facebook page on Wednesday, August 14th, about a new effort to curb knife crime:
Chicken restaurants will advertise the hashtag #KnifeFree on their packages of fried chicken, and the insides of the boxes will go on to tell stories of people who’ve chosen not to carry a knife.
Yes, you read that right.
The Home Office, the government department responsible for immigration and passports, drugs policy, crime, fire, counter-terrorism and police, spent taxpayer dollars to have 321,000 chicken boxes printed with this hashtag and messaging.
Because fried chicken boxes listing the consequences of knife crime are going to help convince people that it’s a bad idea.
Now, let’s recap some of the current knife laws that Brits are living with:
- No folding knives with blades longer than three inches.
- No knives with blades that lock into place—of any length!
- No carrying a folding knife (think pocket knife) without a good reason.
- No butterfly knives – a blade hidden inside a handle that splits in the middle
- No disguised knives – a blade or sharp point hidden inside what looks like everyday objects such as a buckle, phone, brush or lipstick
- No flick knives (also known as ‘switchblades’ or ‘automatic knives’) – a blade hidden inside a handle which shoots out when a button is pressed
- No stealth knives – a knife or spike not made from metal (except when used at home, for food or a toy)
- No zombie knives – a knife with a cutting edge, a serrated edge and images or words suggesting it is used for violence
- swords, including samurai swords – a curved blade over 50cm (with some exceptions, such as antiques and swords made to traditional methods before 1954)
- sword-sticks – a hollow walking stick or cane containing a blade
- push daggers
Did we miss anything?
Sharpened toothbrushes aren’t currently banned, but any day now that could change.
And the consequence for carrying a banned knife? Up to four years in prison and an unlimited fine.
If you’re caught with one of these knives more than one time, prison time is mandatory.
With all these laws and the addition of serious consequences if somebody breaks the law….do they really think a chicken chain’s product packaging is going to make a difference in a person’s decision to harm somebody with a knife?
They’re out to lunch.
Chicken fried lunch, at that.
American gun owners, this is the future if we let our politicians destroy the Second Amendment and leave us and our children defenseless.